Minding the gap
Commissioned by Home Connections, this report is written by Campbell Tickell and The Policy Institute at Kings College London. The report analyses the property demand data for 50,000 social housing properties advertised through Home Connections Choice-Based Lettings advertising systems.
Some key highlights:-
- In general, there is significantly more demand for social housing than sufficient supply.
- For the last three years, there were nearly 4.8 million bids processed by Home Connections for nearly 40,000 properties. The number of bids is 120 times higher than the number of properties made available, indicating a high level of competition for social housing. In contrast, in the private rented sector, which is experiencing the most significant supply/demand imbalance for several years, there were roughly 5 prospective households for every available private rented property in the UK in March 2022.
- Individual properties received hugely varying amounts of interest. A few properties received thousands of bids while 61 properties received none. 10 per cent of all properties listed received over 275 bids.
- Demand for social properties through the Home Connections system was by far highest in London.
- The top five properties with the highest bids were in Lambeth, London, each receiving over 1,800 bids.
Home Connections is social housing’s not-for-profit software provider for Choice Based Lettings, Mutual Exchange, Homelessness (HRA) & Housing Options and more. Since 2001, they have been at the forefront of many minds with the latest technology innovations. Home Connections set out with a vision to transform the relationship between home seekers and housing authorities. The choice-based lettings pilot they led was the largest in the UK and laid the foundation for a nationwide change to social housing allocations to the extent that over 80% of housing bodies in the UK used this approach by 2010. Find out more about Home Connections products and services.
|Campbell Tickell is an established multi-disciplinary management and recruitment consultancy, operating across the UK and Ireland, focusing on the housing, social care, local government, sport, leisure, charity and voluntary sectors. We are a values-based business and firmly place the positioning of our support and challenge on helping organisations to attain change that is well thought through, planned and sustainable. At CT, we want to help organisations create the landscape within which we ourselves would like to exist: fair, inclusive, diverse, engaged and transparent. We build from our values in how we approach all our work as a practice.
Find out more about CT’s Services.